Internships are a wonderful opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in an area related to your major or career interests. There are a variety of internship opportunities available to you as a student, including the option of receiving academic credit for internships related to your major.
AMS 192 - Internship in American Studies
AMS 192 offers academic credit (P/NP grading) to students who have arranged for an approved internship. AMS 192 internships are a great way to get some work experience AND receive academic credit toward your degree! You can find an organization you want to work with, or check out the campus Internship and Career Center.
AMS 192 is a variable unit course, from 1 to 12 units, depending on the time commitment required by the internship sponsoring organization. The rough formula is 1 academic unit for each 3 hours’ commitment per week for the ten week quarter. The student need not take as many hours credit as the commitment would allow. The internship must have an identified supervisor and an American Studies faculty sponsor.
- Review the AMS 192 Guidelines and AMS 192 Form.
- Find a position with a business/company/organization (may be paid or volunteer) where you will have an opportunity to complete direct work in an area related to American Studies and will be supervised by an identified supervisor.
- Ask an American Studies faculty member to sponsor you. In order to sponsor you, instructors will typically want you to have previously taken a class with them. If you experience difficulty identifying a faculty sponsor or need support in this process, please consult with the Student Affairs Officer.
- Complete the AMS 192 form. This will require obtaining signatures from the AMS faculty serving as your “faculty sponsor” and from your internship supervisor.
AMS 192 Resources
- AMS 192 Guidelines
- AMS 192 Form
Internships that American Studies students have completed in the past include:
UC Davis Aggie Hosts
UC Davis Center for Environmental Policy & Behaviors
Catalyst Housing Group
UC Davis Women's Resources & Research Center
General UC Davis Internship Resources
- The Internship and Career Center
- The Internship and Career Center (ICC) at UC Davis offers undergraduate students support to build professional knowledge, skills, and connections to launch their career journeys. They provide career advising and resources
for exploring a variety of occupations, careers and internships. We recommend you review their internship resources and informational videos at https://icc.ucdavis.edu/find/internships.
- UC Davis Handshake
- Handshake is an online platform, where UC Davis students can connect with employers. You can use Handshake to search and apply for internships, and more. To learn more about Handshake please visit https://icc.ucdavis.edu/find/resources/handshake.
- UC Center Sacramento
- UC Center Sacramento is the University of California’s teaching, research and public-service site located one block from the State Capitol Building. Operated by UC Davis, UCCS offers a distinctive academic program in public policy to students from throughout the university’s 10-campus system. The program provides students with an opportunity to study through seminars and internships in and around the state Capitol. To learn more about UC Center Sacramento internship opportunities please visit https://uccs.ucdavis.edu/for-students/internships.
- UC Davis Washington Program
- The Washington Program offers an exceptional experiential learning program for undergraduate students at UC Davis. This program provides eligible students with the unique chance to combine their academic studies with an extraordinary internship experience in Washington, D.C. To learn more about the Washington Program and Opportunities for students in American Studies please visit https://washingtonprogram.ucdavis.edu/prospective-students.
- UC Davis Summer Abroad Internships
- UC Davis Global Learning offers a variety of Summer Abroad Internships, and virtual internships for students interested in gaining direct experience in a variety of fields in a global setting. To learn more about UC Davis Summer Abroad internship opportunities please visit https://globallearning.ucdavis.edu/pathways/academics/studyabroad/si.